Time for some Hardsurface

No Comments

This entire project was made with the goal in mind to have only tiling materials. So I developed a workflow to use masks, Curvature and Ao maps to determine where a material should go. I have detailed it below.

Brew_Render_01Brew_Render_03 Brew_Render_02 Brew_Render_04

Brew_Render_05

Concept: https://www.artstation.com/artist/bosskey


Stained_Concrete_SD RedWood_SD Limestone_SD


More of the arm on this page >http://nicolegorny.com/robo-arm/

Wall_High Brewery_Monitor_High

Robo_Arm_03

Brewery_Arm_WIP_01


THE BREAKDOWN


Most of the wires and pipes in this scene are made with splines.

Brewery_Spline Brewery_Spline_02


Tiling Materials:

With all the tiling workflows that are emerging, and programs like Substance and Quixel that let you make awesome looking materials I figured it was time to try one out. I have found many pros, and cons for this workflow. You are able to get very close to the assets, but without making a lot of RGB masks it was difficult to place scratches on edges and dirt in crevasses. To start with I determined where a material went by and RGB mask. Then plugged in the material function that was my tiling texture.

-I went with material functions, because even though I could not make a master material with them I could globally change the material. Works great for iteration workflows
-You don’t have to use one RGB mask. You can use multiple if you have more than 4 materials on your asset.

Mat_Breakdown_02

For the issue of not having edge detail and dirt I decided to try to make an Ao and Curvature workflow for adding in these details. It worked, for the most part. You lose a lot of the purposeful wear that you get on objects. Yes you can paint them in by hand for a mask, this project was meant to find a fast way to do this. I would recommend to take the time on the hero assets to hand make masks.

Any way, I packed a Curvature into the Red channel and an AO into the Green channel.

Baydoor_low_curvature_AO

I then split and used contrast, scurve and power nodes to get the amount that I wanted

Mat_Breakdown_01

Then plugged the AO into a LERP mask for some tiling Dirt, and the Curvature into a mask on a Material Blend for Edge wear. you end up with stuff like this.

Tileing_Mats

Here is the whole material. Awful spelling and all.

Master_material_Layout


THE WORK IN PROGRESS


Brewery_WIP10

Brewery_WIP11

Brewery_WIP12


Brewery_WIP07


Brewery_WIP04Brewery_WIP05Brewery_WIP06


 

 

Brewery_WIP02 Brewery_WIP03

Brewery_WIP01

 

Highly going to be influenced by:

 

More from our blog

See all posts
No Comments